- The aim of the Council is to help students engage themselves in meaningful pursuits outside the co-curricular programme of the College and to provide opportunities for training as good
- The Council will try to achieve these aims mainly through debates, lectures, meetings and cultural
ARTICLE II : Membership
All students of the College shall be deemed to be members of the Council, for the academic year and all members of the staff shall be its honorary members.
ARTICLE III: Office Bearers of the Executive committee
- The Principal is the President of the Council, and he may appoint three members of the staff to the Executive Committee of the Council, out of which one will be the Treasurer and two will be
- There shall be an elected Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary and Joint-Secretary for the
- The Chairman may preside over ordinary meetings of the Council. The Principal or the Vice- Principal shall preside over business and special meetings of the Council and also the meetings of the Executive Committee
- The secretary shall arrange the meetings of the Council in consultation with the President and Chairman and shall conduct other matters of the Council according to the decision of the President and the Executive Committee of the
ARTICLE III:Office Bearers of the Executive committee
- The Principal
- The Vice-Principal
- The Bursar
- Three staff members nominated by the Principal (2 Advisors and 1 Treasurer)
- The Chairman (Students’ Council)
- The Vice-Chairman (Students’ Council)
- The Secretary (Students’ Council)
- The joint-Secretary (Students’ Council)
- Six other elected members (Students’ Council)
- Two other students to be co-opted to the Committee on nomination by the Principal to secure fair
ARTICLE IV : Election
Mode of Election
As per the Manomaniam Sundaranar University Guidelines (Vide No. MSU/A/CO.UN.EL/2007-08), the College adopts indirect election in electing the office - bearers and the executive members of the Students Union Council. Under indirect election method, each class, I, II and III years of under graduate courses, I and II years of post graduate programmes and M.Phil. will elect a representative each and all these class representatives will form the electoral College to elect the Office - bearers and members to Executive directly.
The apex body under the proposed dispensation will be “University Students' Union”, to which the electoral College will be the students’ representatives chosen from affiliated Colleges and University Departments (Chairman and Secretary). For the University Students' Union, four office bearers as in Colleges, and two student representatives from each District, Tirunelveli, Tuticorin and Kanniyakumari (3 x 2 = 6), for the Executive Committee will be elected.
Eligibility of Students to contest
- A student contesting the election should be a regular full time student who has cleared all papers till the date of nomination with 75% attendance in the previous The contesting candidates should not have criminal charges or affiliation to any political or communal outfit. They should not have any charges of indiscipline.
- All the students of the College shall have the right to vote and contest in the election of the Students' Council. The Chairman and the Secretary candidates shall be from the third year UG classes or second year G. classes or M.Phil. classes.
- Students elected as Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, Joint- Secretary and Executive Committee Members of the Council shall not hold office in any other association in the College and shall resign other offices to which they may have been elected
- First year UG and PG students cannot become members of Executive
- The elections of the Chairman, Vice-chairman, Secretary, Joint- Secretary and student members of the Executive Committee will be conducted by President or by the Advisor appointed by E l e c t i o n s shall generally be by secret ballot.
- If any student is identified as guilty and fined 50/- and above, that
student shall not be eligible to contest in any of the Students’ Council elections.
- A Grievance Cell constituted by the staff council will dispose off the election related disputes and complaints within 24
- The Grievance Cell will have the authority to cancel the candidature of a contestant who violates the election
Code of Conduct
No election related expenditure will be permitted. Corrupt practices are totally prohibited. Wall posters, pamphlets and handbills are banned. No outsider should be allowed during the days of election process. Procession of any kind and anywhere are strictly prohibited. In the event of the violence or factional clashes, the President will cancel the whole election process and inform the decision to the University authority concerned.
Deadline for Elections
The duration of the process of election should not exceed four days in a College. The election for the University Students' Union should be completed before December 20, 2021.
ARTICLE V : Meetings of the Executive Committee
- The Executive Committee of the Council shall discuss the programme of activities at least once a
- A notice of at least three days shall be given for meetings of the Committee by the Secretary. Urgent or special meetings may be convened on short notice on the authorization of the
- The proceedings of all the meetings of the Committee should be
- 50 percent shall be the quorum for the Executive
- The President has the right to convene the Executive Committee of the Council at any
The President shall have the power to issue directions for the proper conduct of meetings and other affairs of the Council and to revise the regulations. His interpretation of the regulations and his decisions in any dispute shall be final.
CODE OF CONDUCT OF THE ELECTED STUDENTS
(Vide proceedings of the Director of Collegiate Education No. 5763116/82 date 29-9-82.)
- The office - bearers of the Students’ Council shall co-operate fully with the Principal and Staff of the College in promoting intellectual and cultural activities among
- The Students’ Council Office-bearers shall take upon themselves the responsibility of not involving in any act of indiscipline leading to disruption of normal life in the
- The problems and issues in the College shall be resolved by representations and negotiations and not be resorting to any other
- The Office-bearers shall under no circumstance deem it as part of their duty to represent to the authorities on matters and causes, which do not fall under the purview of the
- The Office-bearers may make their representations to the Principal only on matters pertaining to the general interest of the students and not on individual
- The Council Office-bearers shall not interfere directly or indirectly in matters involving discipline and action thereon, which are the responsibilities of the
- No decision on the activities/programmes of the Council shall be taken by the Council Office-bearers except with the recommendations of the Students’ Representatives Council consisting of the Office-bearers of the Department Associations and Staff Advisers with the approval of the
- The Budget for the Council shall be prepared by the Council Office-bearers in consultation with the Students' Representatives Council and the Staff Advisers. This shall be submitted to the Principal for
- It shall be obligatory on the part of the Council Office-bearers to present the statement of accounts of the Union twice a semester to the Students’ Representatives
- The Office-bearers shall not invite any outsider to the College for meetings and functions except with the approval and consent of the
- The Council Office-bearers shall not involve themselves in any kind of fund-raising campaigns except with the specific approval of the
- The above said instructions shall be followed and those who violate these shall be dealt with