In the year 1868, Rev. James Emlyn from New Castle, U.K.,
a London Missionary Society (LMS) missionary bought the land where the College is located now. Rev. Robert Sinclair, who succeeded Rev. James Emlyn in the year 1910, built a bungalow and started a Boarding School on the campus measuring 32 acres.
After independence the long felt need for a College at Marthandam resulted in the starting of the Christian College in June 1964 by the Kanniyakumari Diocese of the Church of South India. The Executive Committee of the Diocese, which met on 04-01-1964, entrusted the responsibility of raising funds for the buildings needed to an adhoc committee consisting of Mr. N. Dennis, Ex. MP(Convener), Mr.G.A. Ambrose, Mr.J. Nesamony, Mr.P.S. Wilson and Rev. M.Amos. The Diocese set apart sufficient extent of wet lands as endowment to satisfy the University requirement. The public, in and around Marthandam, the parents, students and members of the teaching and non-teaching staff took keen interest in the growth of the College and contributed substantially at different stages for its development.
With the permission of the Madras University the Pre- University Class (PUC) was started in 1964 with 171 students. The College was inaugurated on the 6th of August 1964 by the then Bishop Rt. Rev. I.R.H. Gnanadason, with Dr. John D.K. Sundar Singh as the first Principal. Initially, the College was started as a men’s College and it became a Co-Educational College in 1977. In June 1965, the College introduced undergraduate courses with Mathematics, History and Economics as major subjects. From the year 1966, the College was an affiliated Institution of the Madurai University which was later renamed as Madurai Kamaraj University. The College became a Post Graduate Institution in the year 1980-81 with the introduction of M.Sc. in Physics. A Ph.D. Research Centre in History was started in the year 1997 in the regular scheme. The College now offers 20 U.G., 15 P.G, 12 M.Phil., 12 Ph.D. & 11 Certificate Courses. The present strength of students is about 4050. At present 187 teaching, 93 non-teaching staff members and a chaplain are working in the College.
In the year 1991, the College became an affiliated College of the then newly formed Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli. In the marvelous growth of the College, God has guided and blessed us immensely. With faith in divine, guidance and co-operation from the public, it is hoped that the College will grow further into a fruitful centre of learning.
The College is an accredited Institution with 'A' Grade awarded by the NAAC for the period 2014-2019.
In June 1984, the College was re-named as Nesamony Memorial Christian College in recognition of the yeoman services rendered by the late Thiru. A. Nesamony, B.A.,B.L.,M.P. to the Kanniyakumari Diocese of the Church of South India.
This Institution has been striving hard to achieve its goal. A number of innovative programmes and projects are being carried out in this college to lift the downtrodden people of this area.