NESAMONY MEMORIAL CHRISTIAN COLLEGE
Marthandam - 629 165, Kanyakumari District, Tamil Nadu, INDIA
(Accredited with A Grade by the NAAC)
Brief History
.
In the year 1868, Rev. James Emlyn from New Castle, U.K. an LMS missionary bought the lands where the college is located now. Rev. Robert Sinclair, who succeeded Rev. Emlyn in the year 1910, built a bungalow and started a Boarding School on the campus measuring 32 acres.

After independence the long felt need for a college at Marthandam resulted in the starting of the Christian College in June 1964 by the Kanyakumari Diocese of the Church of South India. The Executive Committee of the Diocese, which met on 04-01-1964, entrusted the responsibility of raising funds for the buildings needed to an adhoc committee consisting of Messrs. N. Dennis, Ex. MP (Convener), G.A. Ambrose, J. Nesamony, P.S. Wilson and Rev. M. Amose. The Diocese set apart sufficient extent of wet lands as endowment to satisfy the University requirement. The public in and around Marthandam, the parents, students and members of the teaching and non-teaching staff took keen interest in the growth of the college and contributed substantial amounts at different times for its development.

With the permission of the Madras University the Pre-University course was started in 1964 with 171 students. The college was inauguarted on 6th Aug. 1964 by the then Bishop Rt. Rev. I.R.H. Gnanadason, with Dr.John D.K. Sundar Singh as the first Principal.

In June 1965, the College introduced undergraduate courses with Mathematics, History and Economics as major subjects. From the year 1966, the college was an affiliated institution of the Madurai University which was later renamed as Madurai Kamaraj University. The College became a Post Graduate Institution in the year 1980-81.

In June 1984, the College was re-named as Nesamony Memorial Christian College in recognition of the yeoman services rendered by the late Thiru.A. Nesamony M.A.,B.L. to the Kanyakumari Diocese of the Church of South India. In the year 1991, the College because a constituent college of the newly formed Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli. In the marvellous growth of the college, God has guided and blessed us immensely. With faith in divine guidance and co-operation from the public, it is hoped that the College will grow further into a fruitful centre of learning. A Ph.D. Research centre in History was started in the year 1997 in the regular scheme.